When it comes to web testing, Selenium is without a doubt one of the best framework available to assist developers with automation testing. As a result, the demand for Selenium Web Testers is growing and will continue to grow significantly in the future.
Over time, Selenium framework has been successful in capturing the attention of the entire software and online testing industry. Its open-source infrastructure and significant support for automation testing have helped establish reliable standards for quality.
With the advent of AI and Machine Learning, the automation that Selenium pioneered has undergone a radical transformation. The concept of bringing these cutting-edge technologies into testing has made things simpler and laid the groundwork for digital transformations.
What is Selenium Automated Test?
Today’s DevOps and agile processes require testing automation tools like Selenium to deliver quality applications. Selenium IDE, Selenium Webdriver, and Selenium Grid are the three most popular tools. In addition to web interaction testing, Selenium testing is useful for regression testing software as well. It also produces important results for all web apps and has effective characteristics. It is suitable for all web apps across distinct browsers.
With Selenium, the QA specialists can develop test cases using Python, Perl, Java, Ruby, C#, C++, PHP, and other programming languages. Selenium supports UI testing, integration testing, functional testing, sanity testing, responsive testing, smoke testing, and regression testing.
Selenium has several tools that function to fulfill the various requirements of companies.
- Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
- The Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a user-friendly tool that is available as an add-on for browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
- This kind of application has numerous functions like recording, prototype testing, and playback, and it can export test cases to any language.
- Typically, it is applied when creating Selenium test cases.
- The main purpose of this tool is to capture all browser activity from the user, and as a result, it may be used to create Selenium test cases.
- It has also proven to be a very effective and time-saving method of learning Selenium script syntax.
- Selenium WebDriver
- It facilitates direct communication between the code and the browser
- Like the Selenium Server, this kind of tool doesn’t require any manual techniques.
- Direct communication between the code and the browser is helpful. Compared to RC and Se IDE, WebDriver is a much superior solution.
- For managing browsers and conducting tests, it uses browser automation APIs offered by browser vendors.
- Selenium Grid
- The last Selenium component, called Selenium Grid, is utilized to run parallel or distributive tests.
- This application also supports running test scripts on many machines using various operating systems and browsers.
- When the test cases are triggered, Grid executes them on the remote end automatically.
- To keep time under control, it is essential to run your tests simultaneously on many operating systems and browsers.
LambdaTest is a fast and reliable automation testing platform that allows you to easily run thousands of parallel tests in less time by utilizing the online Selenium Grid. This cuts down on the time needed to run tests. It also provides quicker feedback on changes to the code.
Why go for Selenium?
Most people would credit Selenium Test Automation’s “free” or “open-source” component, but the benefits go far beyond the obvious financial benefits. Businesses are taking this into consideration and using the test tool to evaluate Web applications.
The main success factor for Selenium, among countless others, is that testing can be written in a variety of programming languages and executed directly across various web browsers and operating systems. This amazing tool is regarded as a powerful one because 90% of the needs of web app testers can be met with the help of its capabilities, which are simple to use and supply.
Selenium Test Automation’s Future Prospects
Software testing has benefited from technological development over time. Whether they are connected to websites, applications, or software technologies, testing challenges have been overcome thanks to the use of test tools that have automated the process.
Selenium has been a game changer in improving manual testing techniques by doing away with the requirement for time-consuming recurring test cases.
Thanks to the ease of continuous development and delivery, the testing community has profited from speed, compatibility, cost-effectiveness, and many other benefits. Selenium is the most widely used and favored automated testing technology.
- Selenium’s extended support: It supports a wide range of browsers and operating systems, making it one of the key reasons QA specialists choose it for all their automated testing needs. This puts it in a good position to evaluate the performance of applications on many operating systems, including iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and Mac. Selenium also supports all test procedures developed for well-known browser extensions, including those for Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and others.
- Many programming languages are supported: With the help of this incredible tool, quality assurance specialists can write scripts in various programming languages like Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, PHP, and more.
- Free to Use: Selenium is a free test automation tool. It doesn’t include any ongoing costs, making the entire development process profitable and hassle-free. Selenium has the ability to perform any type of quality check or analysis, whether you are a large, established company or a tiny development company.
- Selenium IDE benefit: When you need to debug, record, or change any test cases, the Selenium Integrated Development Enterprise is there to help with its robust tools.
- Great compatibility with all browsers: The fact that it works with all browsers is also fantastic. As a result, you do not need to test web applications on a particular browser.
- Selenium is ingenious in its simplicity: It doesn’t require additional resources or the knowledge of extensive manuals and scripts. Due to its outstanding performance and facilitation of procedures, it embodies the true definition of computing. When everything works flawlessly and without any hiccups, this is what software testing will look like in the future.
- Regular Updates: Numerous communities support this kind of automated testing tool, causing Selenium to receive updates with regular or frequent releases. The benefits of an active community include enhancements that are easily understood and available to all users. When compared to other tools, it offers a number of characteristics with no additional expense.
Limitations of Selenium
Despite being a highly regarded tool that offers a very reliable environment for test automation, Selenium still has a number of drawbacks that are paving the way for technologies like machine learning and artificial intelligence to take the lead. Several of these include:
- It can be difficult for testers to complete their tasks on time due to the hassle of creating test cases.
- It offers limited support for image tests and does not integrate any testing tools for test management.
- Only web-based apps are supported by Selenium, and even then, reporting is not available.
- When compared to vendor products, employing test automation tools like Selenium requires a complex test environment setup.
LambdaTest helps overcome some of its limitations. LambdaTest Selenium Automation testing Grid offers a safe, dependable, and scalable Selenium infrastructure. With Selenium scripts, you can automate cross-browser testing across 3000+ operating systems, browsers, and environments, resulting in increased test coverage and much faster build times.
William A. Foster rightly said, “Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” Likewise, Selenium’s test automation is anticipated to have an impact on global testing in the future.
Selenium is a strong tool that developers and software testers may use to their advantage. It can be used even if you don’t have a lot of scripting language experience. Overall, it ensures that the application is market-ready and of uncompromised quality.
On the other hand, test automation based on artificial intelligence may be able to detect any changes made to the components, or perhaps the field may be interpreted to prevent collapse. This may help to increase testing’s reliability and make it easier to maintain.
Nevertheless, there is always room for advancement in any testing technology. Therefore, they would need to be created with the highest level of precision using AI and frequent human intervention.