“Healthy and humane use of technology lies beyond the glory and gloom of innovation.”
There is no second opinion about the superiority of science but without the humanitarian touch in it; the innovations always end up doing harm more than the good. This is why we should not allow technology to own us and our actions rather we should be the owners. Social media is one such invention of science that has made a huge impact in almost every part of our life. One such sphere of life that is touched by social media is “the academic life” of the students. It has brought many benefits and some disadvantages with it. We will be discussing these pros and cons in this post.
The life of students comes with multiple challenges and experiences. It’s never a battle of defeat, but you will witness a win with your efforts (Jessica, 2022). Students’ lives have become so hectic that they have no option left but to take assistance from social media with their academic life. This assistance can be in the form of online Dissertation Proposal Services or online class-taking services. Let us go through the positive and negative effects of social media on students’ academic lives in the following post.
Social media and its relation with the academics:
Social media is much more than sharing your pictures and stories on particular platforms. It is the digital medium in which different websites and applications are used to create and share content with people across the world. This feature of creating and sharing content has made its impact on the academics of students’ life as well. The use of social media in students’ lives is everywhere nowadays varying from taking the “Write My Dissertation For Me UK services” to “help me with my exams assistance”; one can simply not deny the impact of social media on the academics.
It is not possible to ignore the impact of social media on our lives. Even if there are some disadvantages to it; we can only overcome them with our own persistence because we cannot get rid of these inventions nor do we want to. Let us go through the positive as well as negative impacts of social media on the academic lives of students then you can deduce your result accordingly.
The pros of social media on the academic life of students:
Let us begin with the positive impact that social media has made on the academic life of students.
- Connectivity: social media has brought connectivity among the students, teachers, and parents. They can share useful information and academic performance through the means of social media.
- E-learning: The ability to learn through online platforms has made it easier than ever before for students to comprehend different topics. They can take assistance from various social media platforms if they are finding difficulty in understanding any subject or concept.
- Broadens student’s perspective: social media always comes up with multiple answers to a single question. This broadens the perspective of the student about different things.
- Improves critical thinking: When social media provides students with multiple answers then they get to analyze things more carefully and critically; which makes them better critical thinkers.
- Better engagement: Social media enables the students to engage with each other and share the class work through different platforms. This keeps the students engaged and acknowledged.
- Self-paced learning: Another positive impact of social media on the academic lifestyle of students is that it promotes self-paced learning. Students find questions to their answers independently by searching for them on different social media platforms.
The cons of social media on the academic life of students:
Though social media can increase student learning through student interactions, challenges arise when social media is incorporated into an academic course. The assumption that students are familiar with and agreeable to using certain types of social media can cause educators to inadvertently fail to provide the resources (Osharive, 2013). Social media surely has brought in quite many advantages with it but it is not truly free from its negative impacts as well. Following are some of the negative effects on the academics of students due to social media.
- Distraction: The biggest negative impact that social media has brought on the academic life of students is a “distraction”. There are so many apps and sites that distract students from their academics. There is no pause to this distraction so the student must have the self-control to save his academic career from stooping.
- Deteriorates health: Excessive use of social media not only deteriorates your mental health but also physical health. Long screen timing can affect your eyes and brain. Sitting in one place for too long while using social media deteriorates your physical health.
- Reduces the searching capability/motivation: Students used to invest time in looking for answers through different books but now they just write the question and get the answer. They don’t have enough motivation left to explore the answer, look into its meaning, and so on.
We have seen that there are positive as well as negative impacts of social media on the academic life of students but would you categorize the social media platform as a negative or positive invention in general. Well! I would categorize it as a positive invention because the benefits and the ease that it has brought with it surely overrule the side effects of this invention. Moreover; all of the negative effects are somehow related to the self-control of a student more than the setback of social media.
Students of today’s age are faced with many challenges and solutions. The biggest challenge plus a solution to that challenge in student’s life is social media. It is a challenge for them especially in their academic life because of the distractions that it comes with but it is a solution to all their academic worries as well.
Read more: HOW CAN YOU APPLY FOR INTERNSHIP IN TOP-NOTCH COMPANIES AT UK?